Monday, October 08, 2007

Cupcake or Muffin?

I've been wondering. What's the difference between a cupcake and muffin? My American colleague says a cupcake has icing; a muffin doesn't. But muffins to me have always been savory breads ala McDonald's Egg McMuffin.

Then came the question from my American colleague - what's a biscuit? And cracker?

So, what Americans call "biscuit", the Brits call "scone"; American crackers are English biscuits; English crackers are American crisps; American fries are English chips.

Napkins and serviettes?

Have I got it right? Wrong?


Anonymous said...

I think between Napkins and serviettes, the average singaporean would still end up calling it *tissue paper*.


aichaku-愛着 said...

Another one for you - what about "cookies"? I had this impression that "biscuits" to British are "cookies" to Americans ie. Americans use "cookies" and "crackers" interchangeably but perhaps "crackers" might be the salty type?

I think Southern US cuisine includes a type of biscuit that does not look remotely like the sort of biscuit that we know. They eat with gravy or something like that.